Thursday, January 31, 2013

bad day for high-heeled boots, good day for crime

This morning, I was rushing around, trying to get ready to take my son to school.  I was running late and distracted.  I decided to wear my high-heeled black fur-lined boots because I'd only worn them once before and I wanted to try them again.  So, I was ready, the kids were ready, I was holding my son's backpack in one hand and a Pibb Xtra in the other hand. 

Shut the door.  Realized I had locked myself and my kids out of the house.

 My keys, purse, and phone were all inside. 

The kids were runnning all around the front yard being crazy.

I had a couple options: A) Go next door, use the neighbor's phone, and call someone in my family to come get us.  B) Break into the house somehow, get the keys, and get my kid to school on time.

I prefer to take care of things myself, so I tried all the windows in the front first- all locked.  The gate to the backyard is padlocked, and the key is kept in the house.  So . . . I had to climb over it.  In my high-heeled almost-new boots.  Bare feet would have been worse because of the cold and the sharp parts of the gate.  The first time I tried to climb over, I fell hard on my back.  The second time, I made it.  I then lifted my kids over the gate and told them to play on the swings in the backyard.

I checked all the windows and decided on one of the kitchen windows.  I grabbed a long broken pipe and smashed the window in.  I ended up having to break 3 panes of glass, the screen, and the frame for the screen.  Climbed inside, grabbed my keys, and got my son to school with one minute to spare.

I know for a fact that all my closest neighbors are retired and they were home.  Not one of them ventured outside to ask me what I was doing or to offer help.  No one called the cops.  It was pretty loud while I was smashing the glass, but I guess no one noticed.  Good day for crime . . . ?????

No comments:

Post a Comment