Thursday, August 1, 2013

my ideal wedding

My husband and I never had a wedding, which I find depressing.  We should have had a wedding, tailored to suit us, and lots of pictures to show for it.  Instead, we were married in an office near the courthouse, and we have very few pictures of that day.  If I could having a wedding now, I would follow my heart and my creative instincts.

For my dress, I'd pick something like this:


 
 
 
It would definitely be purple or periwinkle, have some kind of little straps, and not be poufy.   I would not be ashamed of my tattoos and scars.  My husband would incorporate purple into his tux, because that is his favorite color, too- we were both born in February.  I would let him style himself however he wanted in order to reflect his personality and be happy.  I would go barefoot, but he could wear shoes if he wanted.

I would have a maid of honor, probably my best friend, and he would have a best man.  My maid of honor would have to wear a dress in a color complementary to purple, but of a flattering style to her.  I'd have no ring bearers or flower girls, to keep the wedding ceremony simple. 

I like the idea of lighting a unity candle during the ceremony and speaking traditional vows.  I believe that marriage, TRUE marriage, is a pact made between the two people and witnessed by close family and friends.  We would of course invite our families and friends, but I would like to keep the list to only those people we enjoy being around and who truly want to be there. 

The reception could be held anywhere big enough to fit 50 people and a dance floor.  My husband and I would each make a list of songs to be played by a DJ.  The songs would be another reflection of ourselves, our personalities merging.  We'd have lots of classic rock and 80s music.  There would be a free bar.  I would learn the Thriller dance, and actually do it when the song came on.  I'd also get out there on the dance floor for the electric slide and any disco music. 

The best man and maid of honor would each give a toast.  I would have one dance with my dad. I would get my husband out for at least one dance, no matter how embarrassed he feels.  Then people would just continue to dance and talk and have a good time until late at night.

That's my dream, and I'm sad that it will never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment