Sunday, November 16, 2014

I don't have a clue what dreams mean

Really. I don't.  I've taken several psychology courses, and the common consensus is that dreams are your sleeping minds way of processing your day or putting different puzzle pieces together.   They also say you can't read in your sleep, and that certain dreams mean certain things.

Well, I've had a few repeat dreams over my life that I can remember: Endlessly checking groceries at a store, arriving at high school topless, forgetting my classes and my combination to my locker in high school, flying down stairs in single bounds, and my favorite- having sex with faceless men.

But do any of my dreams have anything to do with the day I just had, like the textbooks say?  I don't think so.  The last vivid dream I can recall is being transported to my brother's house in Wisconsin via mirror, and I have not read 'Through the Looking Glass' in years. Nor have I ever been to my brother's house or seen detailed pictures of it, but my mind made up fantastic details for his house, and it was beautiful.  So what was that dream about? How do I analyze it?  Am I just missing my brother, or am I envious of his house that I have never even seen?  Or do I simply wish I could travel by mirror?

I am capable of lucid dreaming, that is, dreaming while knowing you are dreaming and being able to direct it somewhat.  Not all the time, but sometimes, and that's great when it happens.  It gets me out of nightmares mostly.  Sometimes I dream my alarm went off and I'm getting up, getting ready for the day, all while still being asleep.  Those dreams suck and are extremely difficult to break free of, because then I can't tell reality from dreaming.  I always wake up from those feeling like crap.




1 comment:

  1. The one example you give does sound textbook. You miss your brother and dreamed about seeing him. Sure, the "how" is interesting but the basic meaning appears straightforward.

    ReplyDelete