Sunday, June 28, 2020

Assaulted at the gas station

I was assaulted a few days ago.  The experience shook me to the core and made me realize how lucky I am.  

So, I work from 8 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday for a library system.  I stop at the same gas station every morning on my way to work, usually for a fountain drink, a donut, cheetos, or candy.  I'm a creature of habit, always parking in the same spot if it's available.  A few days ago, I tried to park in my usual spot at the gas station, and accidentally tapped the car perpendicular to me.  The other car was not parked within the lines, which was why I misjudged the space.  It was the lightest of taps, causing no damage, but I was prepared to apologize to the other driver.  


However, by the time I stood up out of my car, the other driver was already around hers and yelling at me. I tried to show her that our cars were both undamaged, but she would not let me speak.  She was irate, with crazy eyes and crazier hair.  She was waving her arms and screaming, "You stupid bitch!" over and over.  Then, while I was still staring dumbfounded at her, she began shoving me and saying, "Oh no. Oh no. Oh no."  It was like she was possessed.  At about this time, my adrenaline kicked in and I began to both notice my surroundings and take defensive measures.  There was a gas station employee standing on the curb right by our cars, and she was trying to get the crazy lady's attention away from me.  Some other people were standing around watching.  My immediate instinct was to GET AWAY.  I gave one last fleeting thought to my  fountain drink, opened my car door, and attempted to get back inside my car.


My assailant gave no quarter.  She kept screaming and cursing me, and now she was using my car door as a weapon.  Using all her strength and rage with both arms, she was repeatedly smacking me with the car door, which painfully squeezed me against the car. All I could do was try to brace myself against the car door with my left forearm, which caused my right shoulder to smash into the car over and over.  At this point, my hindbrain was on full alert, signaling flee flee flee flee flee flee.  I don't know how long it took, but I managed to get inside my car. The crazy lady was screaming and attacking me with the car door the whole time. Even inside my car, I did not feel safe.  The crazy lady was still waving her arms and shouting at me.  So I left.

Looking back, I realize that I must have been in shock, because I drove all the way the work.  That's about 20 miles from the gas station.  I remember calling my husband on the way, hysterically crying as I tried to tell him what happened. He kept telling me to turn around and come home, but I was adamant about going to work.  So I showed up at work, went directly to my supervisor, and tried to tell him what happened.  Poor guy. He clearly had no idea what to do with me, as I had become hysterical again.  My husband called me while I was in my supervisor's office, and he convinced me to drive back home so he could take me to the police station.

Apparently, the gas station employees had called the police and reported the incident.  They had also written down the license plate number and type of car the crazy lady had been driving.  My husband convinced me to press charges.  I picked my assailant's mugshot from a photo lineup.  She was already in the system, having been arrested in the recent past.  The police went around to the address associated with the car she was driving, but she was not there.  The officer working the case told me he'd call with any developments.  It's been 5 days.

I sustained a bleeding scratch on my cheek, a large bruise on my left forearm, and several bruises around my right shoulder.

It could've been worse. I had a canister of pepper spray within reach the entire time, but I didn't even think about it. I could've fought back, but I'm glad I didn't.  Escalation is bad.

And I know I'm very lucky to have made it to age 37 before being involved in this type of physical altercation. 


The bruises are 5 days old in this picture.










No comments:

Post a Comment