Saturday, May 18, 2013

lack of plans

Recently my best friend asked me what my goals and ambitions for my future are.  That made me stop and think.  Because here's the deal: I don't really have any specific goals set.  No ambitions, no clear path. 

Growing up, I always expected to get a college degree, get married, have kids, and have some kind of career.  I knew the proper order I was expected to accomplish these things.  However, I have never been the type of person to really know what I want.  Some kids know what they want to be when they grow up, and they stick with that goal until they've completed it.  Not me.  I kept changing my mind, from a young age right up until now.  If I make a decision, I have to act on it right away, or I will most likely change my mind. 

I loved writing stories as a child, so my first dream was to be a writer.  Needless to say, that didn't happen.  I wasn't good enough.  I was really never good enough for anything.  I'm not particularly skilled in anything.  I'm average.  I majored in education in my first year of college because at that time I wanted to be a French teacher.  I still like the idea of being a teacher, but it's just not in the cards for me. I dropped out after a year of college, but returned 7 years later to major in criminal justice.  I am one year away from having my Bachelor's degree, but I dropped out again. 

Well, now that I think of it, I am skilled at some things: I am a VERY good cashier and stocker.  I am an expert at helping customers (when I feel like it).  I'm a good listener, I'm very loyal to my friends and family, and I'm super honest. 

Are those skills for a successful career? No.  I can't type correctly, I can't figure out Excel, and I can't do any kind of job that requires me to be in top health. 

Basically, I have lived my life day by day ever since I left my parent's house 10 years ago.  I make it through each day the best I can.  I'm alive.  I would say that my motivation is my kids, and the only goal I have is to do what it takes to survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment