Sunday, October 13, 2013

I need to let this go


Why is high school on my mind nearly 11 years later?

I find myself thinking about stereotypes, and cliques, and clubs, and dating, and sports, and teachers . . .

Let me begin by bringing up this classic 80s movie about high school:



These high school kids were labeled as the brain, the jock, the basket case, the criminal, and the princess.  I can remember many classmates fitting into some of those neat boxes, but I also remember other classifications that existed at my school.  For example, I had a close friend who was an out and proud lesbian.  I knew a girl who got pregnant in senior year.  There were Goths and there were the cheerleaders.  I, myself, was both a loner and a basket case, with some brain mixed in. I attended every football game from 8th grade until 11th grade as a member of the school band.  I was in the band, but never felt like I belonged.  I remember eating lunch while sitting in the hallway reading a book.  It’s really hard to pigeonhole people with only 5 options. 

 

Some teachers stand out in my mind, like my one-legged American History teacher who gave me my first C ever.  And then there’s my French teacher, who taught my French class all through high school.  She was the nicest lady, and made me want to become a French teacher.  That was even the first major I picked in college.  On the difficult side, there was my band instructor, who taught my class 7th grade through 12th grade.  He expected perfection from all of the band members, was prone to swearing and throwing things, made many incorrect assumptions about us students, and gave self-righteous speeches on the fly. He played favorites, and through my experiences with him, I learned that I am not an ass-kisser. 

Another large part of my high school experience was dating and mooning over boys.  I had a boyfriend for 5 months in 11th grade, and I spent so much time talking to him on the phone at night that I hardly ever did my trigonometry homework.  That’s when I received my second (and last) C ever.  The quote I chose for my senior yearbook was “I have had a crush on every single guy in my class.”  That’s really telling; my hormones were out of control, and yet I remained mostly a loner and too shy to approach any of my crushes.
I think my point is that I was pretty miserable in school. Full of angst, hormones, social anxiety, and depression.  I was never invited to a single party and never offered any drugs.  I mostly stayed home and read books when I wasn’t working a part-time job.  I feel like I missed out on a huge chunk of the high school experience, and I can’t help but dwell on it sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment