Friday, October 4, 2013

raising boys

I just read this article:
America tells boys not to be girly
An excerpt:
"The stereotypes that plague our lives teach that the characteristics of empathetic understanding are feminine: listening, sensitivity, quiet consideration and gentleness.  Empathy is feminized and boys learn quickly that what is feminized is, in a man, the source of disgust. While parents, teachers, coaches, grandparents and others whose ideas shape children aren’t sitting around telling boys, “Don’t be empathetic!” they are saying, in daily micro-aggressive ways, “Don’t be like girls!”  The process of “becoming a man” still often means rejecting almost any activity or preference that smacks of cross-gender expression or sympathy. Expression and empathy are closely related for children. When boys are taught that they can’t “be like girls” it has the threefold effect. First, it alienates them from core aspects of themselves. Second, it portrays what is feminine as undesirable and inferior. Third, it forces boys into a “man box” from which emotions and empathy are excluded."

I have 2 sons, ages 3 and 5.  They do not watch shows about princesses or wear any pink or play with Barbies or other "girly" toys.  However, they are also not encouraged to play with toy guns.  I let my 5-year-old pick out his own clothes, within reason.  He does not gravitate toward girl's clothes.  He likes playing with toy kitchen setups and pretending to cook.  That's fine with me.  When he started pre-k this year, he formed a group of friends on his own which includes one girl.  My goal is to raise my boys to be traditional boys, but I will not discourage their empathetic sides.  I want them to be able to express their feelings in healthy ways.

I grew up with one brother, and we were raised in the same household but quite differently.  I was given girly clothes to wear and he wore boy clothes.  I played with Barbies and makeup, and he played with boy stuff. We both had to do household chores, but only I was taught to cook and do laundry.  My brother played sports; I did not.  In fact, I was encouraged to take ballet; my brother was not.  I cried a lot growing up, over various issues, but I've only seen my brother cry a handful of times.  My brother has much more inherent ambition than I do.  He is doing very well for himself in his chosen career path.  All I thought I wanted to do was get married and have kids, which I did.  

I do not want to raise my boys to be emotionless robots with no feelings for other people, but neither do I want to raise them to be weak.  In this world, men are still traditionally the stronger gender.  Women are slowly becoming more equal, but we cannot fully escape our past and genetic makeup.  Women gathered and men hunted.  Women gave birth and tended the children, and men provided for their families.  The way our bodies are made is inescapable.  Men have evolved to be the hardened protectors that so many are today.

Will I let my boys play sports?  Yes, but only if they show a real interest.  Theater? Yes. Chess club? Yes. Band? Yes.  If they express any kind of interest, I will help them.


No comments:

Post a Comment