Friday, February 8, 2013

30

Today is my birthday.  What have I really accomplished in 30 years?  As a child, I expected to be in about the same position as my mom: married with kids and a college degree.  I think I intended to end up living in Moore, because that's what I always promised my grandma.  However, as I got older I realized what it takes to have all those things I expected to have.  It takes work to find the right man to marry and to father your kids.  It takes a lot of determination and motivation to get a college degree.  As of today, I have the husband and kids, but I'm still a year away from getting my degree. 

I started the day feeling depressed, because I really haven't done anything extraordinary with my life.  I always thought I'd be publishing books by now.  Now I know that while I like to read and write, I lack the skill necessary to write in a professional capacity.

So, I counted my blessings.  I have a husband who loves me.  I have two beautiful boys who love me.  I have a roof over my head and a vehicle to drive.  I have a job with very flexible hours that allows me to stay home with my kids a lot.  I have people in my life who will support me during difficult times.  I have a friend to talk to about subjects that I can't talk to my mom or husband about. 

I have it better than many other people in the world, so I shouldn't be griping about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment