Tuesday, February 5, 2013

songs and memories

I like a wide range of music, and I just saw this saying on Facebook:

Listen to songs that make you smile
Not because of the words or music
But because of the memories behind them!

So I thought I'd list some songs and memories of my own . . .

Madonna's "Beautiful Stranger" reminds me of when I was 16 (1999) and working nights at Dairy Queen.  After closing, we'd turn up the sound system while we cleaned.  I would sing and dance as I worked, and I remember having lots of fun at that job.  My co-workers were the best. 

Fiona Apple's "Criminal" reminds me of driving on the interstate- going home from a scandalous night.  I was 20 and single and feeling indescribable.  I had the windows down, the wind in my hair, and I was singing, "I've been a bad, bad, girl . . ."

Abba songs remind me of my mom when she used to listen to her albums on the record player as she cleaned the house . . . I was really young.

"Don't You (Forget About Me)" by the Simple Minds reminds me of when I was first getting to know my husband.  We connected over our mutual love of 1980s movies. 

"Respect" by Aretha Franklin also reminds me of my husband, because I used to sing along to it when it played at JC Penney's.  We both worked before the store opened, so I would be stocking towels or something, and singing loudly and sometimes dancing.  He caught me at it a few times.

"Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc reminds me of one of my high school best friends, because the song mentions her name.

The One Foot in the Grave album by Beck reminds me of driving home from my night French classes at OCCC when I was 19. 

Several songs, including "Get Down Tonight" and "Centerfold" remind me of being in my high school band and playing my sax at all the football games.

"I Will Buy You a New Life" and "Father of Mine" by Everclear remind me of growing up with my brother, because we both liked those songs.

"You Oughtta Know" by Alanis Morissette takes me back to all the times a boy or man ever did me wrong.  I like to scream it at the top of my lungs when I'm feeling angry, and I've been known to play it on repeat after a breakup.

No comments:

Post a Comment