Friday, December 13, 2013

my love story


My Love Story

There is a song by Beck called “Debra” and it begins, “I met you at JC Penney . . .” It’s always been one of my favorite songs, ever since I found Beck’s music as a teenager- and in particular, the album Midnite Vultures.  If you want to listen to the actual song with an unofficial (but hilariously accurate) music video, here you go: 

So anyway, 2007 was a transition year for me, mostly full of strife and major life changes.  I had left a job I loved (Popeye’s on base) to work at JC Penney for less pay and even less reason.  The only good thing to come out of that year was meeting Troy.
I was hired as sales support, to eventually end up on the stocking team.  Troy was hired to be the receiver- the person who works on the dock receiving trucks.  We were both there before this particular store had its grand opening, and we helped bring it from an empty building space to a full store of merchandise.  Once the store was opened, we began our regular shifts.  We happened to have almost the same schedule, and we both had to start at 5 am or earlier each day. 

When Troy wasn’t busy receiving trucks, he helped my team stock.  I had a lot of fun with that team, joking around and having dirty discussions to embarrass the youngest team member.  Eventually- I really don’t remember how long it took- Troy and I began talking at work in the backroom as we opened boxes and prepared stuff to be stocked.  The whole team was around us, but I started making a point to work near Troy whenever possible.  If he was on the dock, I would come up with reasons to go back there- for example, to throw away trash and cardboard.  He was the person usually responsible for making bales when the baler was full, so I had him teach me how to do it. 

I don’t remember what we talked about at work, but eventually he gave me his phone number.  He knew I was going through some tough times, and he said I could call him if I needed to talk.  I think I called that same night.  We spent several nights talking on the phone for 8 hours straight- all night.  I would sit on the floor with my phone plugged into the charger.  I was 24 and he was 35 and we were acting like silly teenagers.

We began dating in the last week of September of 2007, and we moved in together in November.  I found out I was pregnant on my birthday, in February of 2008.  We were married in April of 2008 and Tyger was born that October.  Cougar was born in January of 2010. 

He is the only person- male or female- to get me to watch scary movies.  He has also introduced me to some of my now-favorite films, such as Full Metal Jacket, The Green Mile, and The Shawshank Redemption. 

For the curious, we bonded over several things, despite the 11-year age difference.  We both love 80s music and movies, for one thing.  Our song is even the theme song for The Breakfast Club.  We both felt like misfits, misunderstood by society.  We both have incurable diseases to compare notes and sympathize about- I know that one sounds bad, but we don’t care what other people think about it.  We are both naturally quiet, loner types until you get to know us.  We are both interested in crime- not committing it, but watching others and trying to understand it.  We like a lot of the same shows.  This may sound hokey, but we each felt a “click” when we met, like we were meant to be.









No comments:

Post a Comment