Sunday, December 1, 2013

Randomness is the spice of life

Are you the type of person who can eat at a restaurant or go to the movies alone?  Or do you always need someone by your side?  Explain.
I was a loner as a teenager, and when I got my first car at 16, I would go to fast food places and eat by myself while reading a book.  I still have no problem with that- as long as I have a book.  I've also been to a few movies by myself, but a couple of those experiences did not turn out well.  I don't like scary movies or any movies that have any scary elements, and I was beyond terrified when I saw my first R-rated movie.  I was alone and it was Scary Movie, which was supposed to be a parody of scary movies so I thought it would be fine.  Usually I turn to someone and grab them when I'm scared, but there was no one.  I toughed it out just to prove I could, although I did scream loudly a few times.  Years later, I went alone to see The Number 23, which was a Jim Carrey movie.  I knew it wasn't a comedy, but I did not know how dark and twisted it would be.  Scared the crap out of me with no one there to hold me. Again.  So now I prefer going to movies with my husband or family or a friend.  I will never go to another movie alone unless I am 100% sure it is a comedy or romance. 

Do you believe in ghosts?  Why or why not?
I used to believe in a lot of stuff, like ghosts and horoscopes and fate and heaven.  Now I'm not so sure.  I believe in very little these days.  I've never experienced a ghost.  I would have to have solid proof, as in seeing one for myself.

You just got a full scholarship to two colleges: one is in New York City, the other is in California.  Which one would you choose?  Explain.
There was a time when I was actually very good at playing the piano, and my instructor wanted me to go to a college in New York that offered a degree in musical therapy.  She thought I would be an excellent candidate to get the degree and then have a career going to hospitals and other places to play the piano as a healing instrument.  I really wish I had taken her (and my lessons) more seriously.  However, if all of that was not in the picture, I would choose California.  My reasons? The nicer weather, I've never been there, and I could see San Francisco finally.  On the other hand, I wouldn't need a car in NYC, and I could go see plays on Broadway and try to get on Jimmy Fallon.  Hmmmmm.

Some people enjoy getting compliments and some people feel embarrassed by them.  Which are you?  What are some compliments you get a lot?  Are there times when you get compliments and don’t believe them? Explain.
I used to get compliments all the time about my looks and intelligence.  Believe it or not, I was pretty when I was younger, and I was incredibly smart.  I never knew how to take a compliment, though.  Now, I get compliments on my cooking and customer service skills.  Sometimes a random person will compliment my car's bumper stickers or my kids' cuteness.  I try my best to just say thank you.  It's rare that I get positive comments on my appearance nowadays, so on those sporadic occurrences, I am very effusive in my thanking.

What are your bad habits? 
My husband would say it's picking my feet.  I pick at the soles of my feet, and I have ever since my son went through his struggle to live over 3 years ago.  I don't smoke and I rarely drink, so I guess it's a stress reliever.  I am almost always walking around on painful, bleeding, torn-up feet.  My reasoning used to be that my son was hurting, so I should, too.  It didn't help that I blamed myself for his medical problems.  The constant pain reminds me and shames me.

What do you do to let others know you love them?
I tell my husband and kids several times a day that I love them.  I also kiss and hug my kids whenever they will let me.  Everyone else, I have to write to or cook for.  I don't remember much about growing up, but I recall never telling my family I loved them and hardly ever hugged anyone.  It's strange.  I have always had a difficult time showing people affection- with the notable exception of my male friends.  When I think about it, I love many people who may not be aware of it because I don't know how to show it unless you give me paper and pen or knowledge of your favorite desserts.




No comments:

Post a Comment